Privacy Notice: Independent Review of Children’s Social Care
What personal data will we be collecting?
Data is being collected through three forms by the Department for Education (DfE):
- Independent review of children’s social care: subscription for updates
- Independent review of children’s social care: Workforce engagement polls
- Independent review of children’s social care: Engagement events and participation activities
All activities collect:
- Identifiers: e.g. names and email addresses
Who are we?
For the purpose of data protection legislation, the DfE is the data controller for the personal data processed as part of this review.
How will we use your information?
We will receive your personal data through an online form for each of the activities listed above.
For activity 1 (subscription for updates) all personal data collected is submitted at the discretion of the user so that we can contact you with further information on the review (such as any updates, future events, and further opportunities to input into the review).
For activity 2 (workforce engagement polls) all personal data collected is submitted at the discretion of the user so that we can contact you with further information on the review (such as any updates, future events, and further opportunities to input into the review), or if you are happy to be contacted about the response you have submitted.
For activity 3 (events and engagement activities), all personal data collected is submitted at the discretion of the user but is required in order to register you for your chosen event and to share information about that event, including joining instructions. We will also use the information to contact you with further information on the review (such as any updates, future events, and further opportunities to input into the review), , if you have agreed that we can do so.
You may unsubscribe from these campaigns at any point in the future by emailing Review.ChildrensSocialCare@education.gov.uk.
What is our legal basis for processing your personal data?
Our legal basis for processing your personal data for the purpose of this work are:
- Consent – the individual has given clear consent for the DfE to process their individual data for a specific purpose
- Public task – It is necessary for us to process your data for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the data controller, such as the exercise of a function of the Crown, a Minister of the Crown, or a government department.
Who will we make your personal data available to?
We sometimes need to make personal data available to other organisations. These include other organisations with whom we need to share your personal data for specific purposes.
Where we need to share your personal data with others, we ensure that this data sharing complies with data protection legislation. For the purpose of this work we may need to share your personal data with:
- Government Ministers;
- Government Officials;
- Other government departments, agencies and public bodies;
- Members of the independent review of children’s social care and organisations and individuals directly involved in delivering the independent review of children’s social care
We will not:
- sell or rent your data to third parties;
- share your data with third parties for marketing purposes;
- use your data in analytics.
We will share your data if we are required to do so by law – for example, by court order, or to prevent fraud or other crime.
How long will we keep your personal data?
We will only retain your personal data for as long as:
- it is needed for the purposes set out in this document;
- the law requires us to.
After this point, or if you unsubscribe at any point, it will be securely destroyed.
Please note that, under Data Protection legislation, and in compliance with the relevant data processing conditions, we can lawfully keep personal data processed purely for research and statistical purposes indefinitely.
Your data protection rights
You have the right:
- to ask us for access to information about you that we hold;
- to have your personal data rectified, if it is inaccurate or incomplete;
- to request the deletion or removal of personal data where there is no compelling reason for its continued processing;
- to restrict our processing of your personal data (i.e. permitting its storage but no further processing);
- to object to direct marketing (including profiling) and processing for the purposes of scientific/historical research and statistics; and
- not to be subject to decisions based purely on automated processing where it produces a legal or similarly significant effect on you.
If you need to contact us regarding any of the above, please do so via emailing: Review.ChildrensSocialCare@education.gov.uk
The Care Review is compliant with the Department for Education’s Personal Information Charter. You can read more about what that means here:
Further information about your data protection rights appears on the Information Commissioner’s website at:
Withdrawal of consent and the right to lodge a complaint
Where we are processing your personal data with your consent, you have the right to withdraw that consent. If you change your mind, or you are unhappy with our use of your personal data, please contact: Review.ChildrensSocialCare@education.gov.uk
Alternatively, you have the right to raise any concerns with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) via their website at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/.
We may need to update this privacy notice periodically, so we recommend that you revisit this information from time to time. This version was last updated in August 2021.